For this recipe, I added shredded carrots, coconut yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg to give it a carrot cake flavor and flax seeds to thicken it up and for extra nutrients. To make this recipe quicker and easier, buy pre-shredded carrots or shred them ahead of time. My favorite toppings are walnuts, raisins, and barberries.
If you make this oatmeal, let me know what you think in the comments below and/or post a photo on Instagram and tag me (@pennysportal)!
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 1 cup 237 ml water
- 1/2 cup 60g rolled oats (make sure they're certified gluten free if you have celiac or an allergy)
- 1 5.3 ounce 150g container of unsweetened coconut milk (or other non-dairy) yogurt
- 1/2 cup 50g shredded carrots
- 2 Tablespoons 30 ml maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon 15 ml ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon 5 ml vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon 2.5 ml cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon .6 ml nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- Optional toppings: walnuts or other nuts raisins, barberries
- If the carrots aren't pre-shredded, shred them using the shredder attachment in a food processor or by hand with a grater.
- Add the water and rolled oats to a pot and bring to a boil, then turn down to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flax seed, carrots, coconut yogurt, and the rest of the ingredients, and stir. Cook over low-medium heat until warm and serve.