Today is Harry Potter’s birthday! To celebrate, I made a vegan (and gluten & oil free) chocolate cake!
This chocolate cake is moist and rich (without any added oil!) thanks to the coffee and coconut yogurt, and the icing is very chocolaty. Like, it should probably come with a warning and be kept in the Restricted Section of the kitchen. The icing recipe makes enough for a thick layer over the whole cake–if you prefer less icing you could halve the recipe, and the cake is also delicious without any icing. You could also use less cocoa powder for a less ridiculously chocolaty icing.
I struggled to make a green icing without any vegan butter since I try to avoid oil–first I tried using avocado, and it didn’t look right, finally I came up with a simple powdered sugar with coconut milk mixture with food coloring to make it green, but it was difficult to ice letters with. If you don’t avoid oil, using a classic icing recipe with vegan butter would probably be easier. I also had quite a bit leftover, so about half the recipe would probably be enough. I’m also a novice cake decorator, and this cake came out messy af, but luckily it works in this case since Hagrid would’ve made a messy cake.
Do you ever make TV/movie themed foods or celebrate character birthdays? Let me know in the comments!
Happy Birthday Harry Potter/Vegan & Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup 127g Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup 48g baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup 171g organic sugar (I use Wholesome Sweeteners)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wet Ingredients
- 1/2 cup 118 ml coffee (I use dark Italian roast)
- 1 5.3 ounce 150g container plain coconut yogurt (or non-dairy yogurt of choice) If measuring from a larger yogurt container, use 140g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Chocolate Icing
- 1 cup 237 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup 96g cocoa powder
- 1 cup 120g powdered sugar (I use Wholesome Sweeteners)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Green Frosting
- 1 cup 120g powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons coconut milk
- Green & yellow natural food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 C). Whisk dry ingredients together well.
- Whisk wet ingredients together, then add dry ingredients to wet and mix until evenly combined.
- Pour into an 9" cake pan or cast iron skillet and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Prepare frosting: add sugar and cocoa to a bowl and whisk together with a fork. Whisk in coconut milk until desired consistency is reached & then whisk in vanilla. Do the same for the green frosting, adding in drops of food coloring until desired color is achieved. I did a mix of green and yellow to get the color I wanted. Wait until cake has cooled before frosting. If the icing is too thin/runny, let it thicken in the fridge.