This is my quick and easy, basic tofu scramble recipe. Honestly there’s not much to it, but I’ve had quite a few people ask me how to make tofu scramble so I thought I should share how I make it!
Basically I just crumble a block of extra firm tofu and cook it over medium heat, adding spices to taste. Every tofu recipe I’ve seen says to press the tofu first, but I can’t be bothered, and it still comes out amazing. I cook the tofu dry in a cast iron skillet, but you can cook it in oil if you want.
The key to making tofu scramble look and taste similar to an egg scramble is to add turmeric for that yellow color (but not too much so you don’t really taste the turmeric) and whatever spices you like along with some black salt (I ordered mine on amazon because I couldn’t find it locally), which has an eggy flavor. You can use regular salt instead though if you don’t have any or don’t want that flavor. Nutritional yeast is also essential in my opinion because it helps give the tofu a bit of a cheesy richness. (I get mine at my local co-op, but you can get it from Amazon as well.)
If you want to amp up this recipe you could cook some mushrooms, peppers, or other veggies in the pan before you add the tofu and/or add some kale or spinach when the tofu is almost done. You could also add in some vegan cheese shreds, tempeh bacon, tortilla chips, jalapenos…I’m getting hungry just thinking about all of the possibilities!
I’m usually pretty lazy though and just make it basic and sometimes add kale or spinach, and I like to top it with more nutritional yeast and/or hot sauce and serve it over gluten free toast.
This recipe makes about 2-3 servings for me and is great leftover too.
Do you like tofu scramble? What are your favorite things to add to it? Let me know in the comments!
How to Make Tofu Scramble
- 1 14 ounce block extra firm tofu drained
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast plus more to top with
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste I use about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon each
- Heat a cast iron skillet or pan over medium heat. Crumble the tofu into small pieces and add it in to the pan. Add the garlic and onion powder, paprika, black salt, and turmeric, and stir to incorporate.
- Cook the tofu over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the tofu is warmed and has absorbed the turmeric and spices (about 10 minutes), adding in the nutritional yeast and salt and pepper during the last few minutes. Remove from heat and serve, topping with more nutritional yeast if desired.
Note: This post isn’t sponsored but does contain affiliate links, meaning if you purchase through them I may make a small commission that helps support this site–thanks!