2016 was my first full year as a vegan, and it was definitely a little challenging at first finding cruelty free and vegan makeup, but luckily Logical Harmony’s epic list and Youtube videos made it easier. So for anyone out there looking for vegan/cruelty free makeup, here are 6 of my top picks from 2016!
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper- Y’all, I am in love with this eyeliner. 2016 was a rough year for me, and I cried a lot, and this stuff is truly waterproof and does not budge even after cry-fests. The only time it came off was when I physically rubbed it off. The brush is also great for wingtips. The only downside is that it’s pricey, but to me it’s worth it.
- e.l.f. Mad for Matte Eyeshadow Palette– I got this palette later in the year but it was instantly one of my faves. The shadows have a lot of pigment especially for the affordable price. I tend to use the warmer 5 shades on the left for easy, natural eye looks.
- e.l.f. Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder in St. Lucia- This e.l.f. duo is my go-to for quick blush and bronzer. It’s really pretty and the shades compliment each other well. And again it’s super affordable because it’s e.l.f.! I’ve also heard it’s similar to the Nars Orgasm Blush, which I haven’t tried. Sometimes I use these as eye-shadows as well when I’m in a rush.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Taupe- Don’t tell anyone, but I only started doing my brows daily last year year. I used to think my brows looked odd filled in, but now I love the polished look. I think part of why I never liked it was because I tried colors that were too dark for my brows, and this shade is perfect. It matches my natural dirty blonde hair, and even though I’ve gone red now, I still use it and just add some orange shadow over it to match my current color. It has a retractable brow pencil on one end for filling in brows and a spooley on the other for combing and blending.
- Pacifica Dream Big Mascara– I picked this stuff up at Target on a whim (all Pacific products are vegan!) and really dig it. The brush’s length changes when you twist it, so you can apply a layer with the brush while it’s long for length and separation, and then twist it and apply another while it’s short for volume. It works really well, still looks pretty natural, and it doesn’t flake off. It isn’t waterproof, but I’m not really a fan of waterproof mascaras (or rather, I haven’t found one I’ve liked yet.)
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Vampira (& Outlaw)- I got this shade after seeing how amazing it looked on a friend. I love how vampy it makes me feel, and I’m a huge fan of liquid lipsticks. I’d say this lipstick might last all day if you don’t eat, but since I do of course, I just touch up the inner part of my lips where it tends to rub off. I also have and love the shade Outlaw, which replaced my go-to red liquid lipstick I had before going cruelty free. (I think it was the Sephora brand.)
In these photos, I’m wearing all 6 makeup faves as well as Too Faced Born This Way Foundation (Vanilla) (which I want to replace soon because Too Faced is now owned by Estee Lauder–got any recommendations?!), Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer Crème (L5 Neutral), Kat Von D Lock-It Setting Powder, & the e.l.f. Illuminating Palette.
What were your makeup/beauty faves of 2016? Let me know in the comments!
This post is not sponsored but does contain affiliate links (meaning if you purchase something through them I’ll make a small commission.)